Tuesday 12 February 2019

Day 16 Raiatea

Today we arrived in Raiatea before we woke up!  We didn’t set an alarm - but we did wake up about 6:45. J put ear drops in my infected ear and then attended to some banking matters. 

We headed to the Terrace Grill to enjoy breakfast. We were packed and ready for a kayak excursion by 8:30 am. - hoping that somebody failed to show up for the ship’s excursion. That was not to be the case. Plan B was to walk out on the pier hoping somebody would sell an excursion to kayak up the Faa’roa  River. We found out only one company offers kayak excursions and if the ship is full - they are full. 

So Plan C was to book an outrigger canoe trip up the same river. It was leaving at 1:30 in the afternoon so that meant there was room for Plan D and that was to hike Mount Tapioi again this morning. We set out at 9:20 am - about an hour later than we had last week. It was hot - but manageable because we knew how far the hike was this time. 



Hot and sweaty at the top of Mt Tapioi 

I climbed up in 52 minutes this time - but was dripping with sweat - slipping off my arms and legs. The difference between hiking in the Rocky Mountains and French Polynesia is that when you get to the top in the Rockies - you cook down. In French Polynesia when you summit the mountain, you keep dripping with sweat in the heat!!!  The view was splendid and more clear with less cloud cover than we experienced last week. On the way down we offered to take a fellow’s picture and found out he was from the Sarnia area and worked for the same company as J. Interesting conversation!

We enjoyed the top for 40 minutes or so but then had to descend so we could get back to the ship, clean up, eat lunch and turn around to head out in the outrigger canoe for 1:30. I chose to shower off on deck 12 and jump in the pool wearing my bathing suit to cool down. That is when I learned our pool is a salt water pool!  So I showered off a second time after my swim too!

Our boat ride had 12 guests aboard and stopped at a pearl farm first. (Didn’t know it was going to do that). A woman on our boat bought a string of black pearls for $600 US and a pair of earrings so the pearl farmer must have felt his presentation was worth his while!  We then went up the river which was kind of cool - and evidently where James Cameron was filming a year and a half ago - must be the Avatar sequel - and the greenery would feel like Pandora!





After the river tour - we stopped at a motu for a swim. J went for a drift snorkel that turned out to be pleasant. I kept my head and ear out of the water!

Upon our return to the ship - we cleaned up, then enjoyed dinner outside on the Terrace Grill in 30 C weather as the sun set. I know we are missing some very cold weather at home so I appreciate every degree of warmth we can get. 

I will try to keep my eyes open till 9 pm - but the morning hike I had worn me out!

Tomorrow we arrive in Bora Bora but have no plans until 1 pm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment