Monday 22 January 2018

Day 7- St Thomas

Well St Thomas is a pretty idyllic setting! What a glorious day we have had!

It is hard to get motivated to write this blog when I am not able to post it. My hope is that when I get back home I can sign back in to my account and load up all the posts then.  I am getting a message that google cannot authenticate my account.  Despite my blog problems, I am impressed with the speed of the new wifi on a Regal Princess. Without paying anything, everybody on the ship is able to use Whatsapp and Messenger to communicate with friends onboard and those at home. By purchasing the unlimited wifi a person can use all their apps, and email for $10 without having to track minutes used. P is able to Snapchat with friends back home so he is happy!

We repeated an excursion we did 5 years ago called the hike, kayak and snorkel. A great way to enjoy the mangroves and all the sights they have to offer. The kayaks are two person, sit atop kayaks. It is a real sign as to how much our boys have grown in that they wanted to paddle together and I got to paddle with J!  J is definitely the most experienced paddler in the family so everybody wants to paddle with him!  For the return trip, I paddled with P and J paddled with JG. 

The mangroves definitely sustained damage from Hirrcanr Maria and Ivan this year. They had 180 mph winds sustained for two hours and that resulted in much damage. 170 boats were turned upside down I the mangrove, 70 of which were not salvageable. Most of the leaves were torn off the windward side of the mangroves and that means most of the mangroves have died. (Usually the mangrove tree puts all the salt in one leaf each year and it loss one solitary leaf. 

We returned back to the ship close to 2pm. I guess I wasn’t destined to go shopping after we got back because stores close at 2 pm downtown on Sundays. J was happy that shopping was off the books!  But I did buy a pair sunglasses to replace the pair I lost at the very end of the tour!

A quick trip to the buffet helped tide us over to supper! 

Tonight is formal night so we got cleaned up and went for a family picture before dinner. Dinner was a seafood appetizer and lobster 3 ways. They were kind enough to make me a gluten free dairy free dessert that was a chocolate cake!

I went to the Princess Theatre to see master illusionist David da Vinci his tricks were good but somehow lacking. J and I watched the movie Big then bypassed all the Ne Years Eve festivities to retire by 11:30 pm!

No comments:

Post a Comment