Tuesday 2 April 2019

Day 1, Rome Italy

My sister LC and I have begun an adventure in Europe!  LC has travelled to Rome several times so she is the head navigator!  The last time I set foot in Europe was about 3 decades ago and that was to travel by train from England to Norway. 

So today LC and I travelled through the night to arrive in Rome. Jet lag is hitting at its peak so will share a few photos of the Trevi Fountain and chat more tomorrow!  Yay - we are in the Eternal City!




Addendum to the day - so we went to bed at 10:30 pm local time; I slept until 3 am and LC until 4 am. We both tossed and turned for till about 5 am when we gave up and started to chat. 

So we are staying in Hotel Artemide on Via (Street) National which is lovely and central. So very glad I followed advice from Rick Steves Italy book and downloaded “City Maps 2 Go” app on my phone. It allows a person to download a city map for free, in this case, Rome and use it offline without data!  So when we tried to find the Trevi Fountain - we could see where we were on the map and which tiny little alley we needed to follow, all without needing wifi or paying for data on my phone!

While our hotel is central and lovely- it is tiny!  We both walked passed it not even noticing it when returning home after dark - so we used the app again and saw we had to backtrack two blocks!

The Trevi Fountain was much bigger than I imagined and surrounded by tourists similar to us. Many shops in the area sell beautiful Italian leather purses and shoes!  







No comments:

Post a Comment