Monday 22 October 2018

Day 9 Boston

The Boston Freedom trail beckoned to me today!!
A few pictures as I will be at sea for the next two days and have a tough time publishing these photos!










For the price of $15 round trip a person can take a shuttle bus to Quincy Market downtown Boston. The price was right, but it wasn’t a quick process. As LC noted, it was one hour twenty minutes to complete the transfer!!

My goal today was to walk the Freedom Trail. The sites of revolutionary Boston from the 1700’s. The Freedom Trail include scenes of critical events in Boston’s and the Nation’s struggle for freedom. The entire trail is 2 1/2 miles long. 

In visiting the information booth at Faneuil Hall, I learned that a person just needs to follow the brick path. What a brilliant way to lay out a winding trail through city streets!! Lay a path two bricks wide along the sidewalks and across streets!!  I never got lost!

I visited Boston Common and State House, Park Street Church, Granary Cemetary (where patriots John Hancock, Paul Revere, Samuel Adams and the 5 victims of the Boston Maddscre are buried), King’s Chapel  (the first Anglican chspel built in 1749), the Franklin Statue (at the First Public School site in America established in 1635), Old South Meeting House, Old State House (where I heard the retelling of the Boston Massacre) and Faneuil Hall. 

It was an enlightening day - one that I appreciated learning about significant American history. 

I didn’t get  to all the trail sites in the north part of the trail. I needed to catch the last shuttle at 4 pm, so by 2:40 decided I better return to the ship. The shuttles were a bit disorganized as I nearly headed back on a bus destined for the Rotterdam, not The Zuiderdam!

Today it was lovely to experience temperatures of 14 C!  Upon arriving back at the ship I took advantage of a few quiet minutes to Skype with my youngest st University and then to call my husband at home. All is well!!

Supper was a fine affair. We then enjoyed hits of the music through the ages on the Mainstage. 

Mom and I then watched the movie Edie. 

Tomorrow is a relaxing day at sea!

No comments:

Post a Comment