Monday 28 January 2019

Flying to Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia

Tahiti is surrounded by the South Pacific Ocean, situated just south of the equator and East of the International Date Line. There is a whole lot of ocean all around it. Flying time to Tahiti from Los Angeles is about 8 hours. The only airlines that fly there from North America (at the time of booking our flights) wereAmerican Airlines and Air Tahiti Nui. 

We left home around 11:30 am, cleared security, then customs and ate lunch at the airport.  I should note, that we were required to check in with an agent because we had “paper tickets”. Thankfully, no, we didn’t require paper tickets, it was just because we would be flying WestJet then Air Tahiti that we had to talk to a live guest services agent.  The agent ticketed our luggage straight through to Papeete , but suggested we check in LAX to confirm we didn’t have to pick up our luggage and check it in for the Air Tahiti leg. 

On the flight to LAX and there was actually space on the aircraft!  I am so used to flying in Canada where every single seat on the plane is occupied. A helpful WestJet agent in LAX confirmed our luggage would proceed all the way to Tahiti without us touching it (fingers crossed we don’t need to use those pictures I took of our suitcases to file a lost baggage claim report!). A quick transfer to Terminal B but staying within the secured area of the airport meant we didn’t have to go through security again. 

Panda Express fit the bill for dinner and we had about 6 hours to entertain ourselves at the airport. Thanks to JG sending me a picture of my library card from home, I was able to sign in to Overdrive and borrow half a dozen ebooks from our library.  In case I have idle time on my hands I can enjoy reading some of the books on my mini iPad. We found two comfortable seats with a table between them and two working plugs to charge our devices while we waited!


I will let you know how the overnight flight goes to Tahiti. 10:50 pm boarding time with a 5:05 am arrival!  We have a hotel booked to get to first thing in the morning and will allow ourselves to lounge for the day to recover. My Travel Agent sister, LC, did confirm the configuration of seats on the plane is 2 4 2.  This means we have 2 seats together - one window, one aisle and no stranger falling asleep on our shoulders!

No comments:

Post a Comment